Tuesday, 26 July 2011


Hellloooo! I have so missed being here. I do hope everyone hasn't deserted me. I've been blighted by a succession of problems that have completely prevented me from blogging.

  • I have lost my camera. I have the memory card and the reader which would indicate that it was left somewhere near my laptop as I wouldn't be able to use it without a card, but house has been turned upside-down and shaken and nothing! I have a FO and an almost-FO to show as well. I have managed to borrow a camera from my mom so I will try and get some pics taken.
  • My laptop went a bit wrong. It was taking an age to open any pages so I got a bit overwhelmed with my blog reader, which in turn wasn't knocking read blogs off the list and I ended up with hundreds of posts where I couldn't find the new ones! I have since switched to a different one and it seems to be ok now. Mr J has also done something to make the laptop faster as well.
In other news we had our wedding anniversary and Mr J turned 40. His body decided to mark the milestone by being a complete pain in the bum and landing him in hospital last week. We don't know what the problem is yet but he is going in for more tests on Thursday. It's either something heart-y or liver-y. Whichever way it is going to involve a bit of a change in diet and trying to find a way of fitting in some excercise. I also managed to make things worse by reversing into his car as I'm so not used to him being home when I leave the house and I knew his car was there, I just forgot for a second. I'm really cross!

We've also had a few house-of-horror troubles as well. The front porch canopy has had to come down as it was causing rainwater to go into our neighbour's electric meter box. Their builder came and yelled at me about it. I mean, if there is a problem I will try and sort it but to be spoken to like that from the outset wasn't very nice. My dad went and told him off, porch canopy is down and builder now not speaking to us at all. In doing this we have found that the remaining porch roof is being held on with bathroom sealant!

It's not my birthday yet, but I have been bought yarn. I saw some Rowan Pure Wool DK in the sale and my mom got me enough to make a garment of some description. I'm totally in love with the colour. It's the same as the one used in this project here (Rav link) which swayed me into getting that colour, I think the cables look fab in it. I am not sure what i will make yet but I also have the new Ysolda Book so it will probably be something from that.

I have also managed to perfect my flapjack recipe. We went out with family for our anniversary and my sister in law had a flapjack that was soooo bad she couldn't finish it. I tried some and it was almost pure sugar with a tiny bit of oats. I decided to try and make her some but I have always had problems with them being too crumbly or too solid or too greasy but now I think it's just right. The recipe started out as this one but when I made it as it is written there was a lot of excess butter sitting on the bottom. I found that adding wholemeal flour instead of white helped with that and I also replaced the coconut with more oats as I'm the only one who likes coconut here and also reduced the amount of sugar. I made some for my friend who kindly took a few photos for me so I can post the recipe. I don't feel right posting without a picture. Also I'm not sure if flapjacks are supposed to have flour in them or be completely oats. Either way they are very nice.


120g wholemeal flour
200g sugar (I use granulated, it's cheaper than caster and I have yet to notice a difference)
185g porridge oats
125g butter
2tbsp golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda mixed with 2tbsp boiling water.

Mix the flour, sugar and oats together in a large bowl.
Melt the butter and golden syrup. I put it in the microwave on half power
Add the bicarbonate of soda to the butter mixture
Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well
Press into a shallow baking tray lined with baking paper or foil. I use a swiss roll tin which is 29 x 19 x 2cm
Bake at 170c/Gas 3 for 15-18 minutes
Leave to cool in the tin and turn out and cut into squares.

I had better go and get some tidying done. My eldest two are on holiday in France with their auntie and I'm missing them very much, as is my youngest. He doesn't understand where they have gone. I'm taking the chance to tidy their rooms a bit and get rid of a few outgrown toys without them hindering me.

See you soon, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails